Home Why is an Asterisk Solution a good choice for End Users?
- Almost ALL Telephony Systems are Open Source BASED, the only Major Brand that is not using Linux as the base is Microsoft – and would you really want to reboot your phone system as often as your PC?
- Bicom Systems’ PBXware was the world’s first Professional Open Standard Turnkey Telephony System. That is to say it takes the best of both worlds. The flexibility of Open Source and to some extent the cost advantage with the simple guarantee to work. Turnkey has been taken in two directions. One is to the desktop and so gloCOM offers a very feature rich Unified Comms experience. The other is through its API that provisioning may be delivered.
- Bicom Systems has continued to seek out Open Source Telephony Projects and support them with view to creating Professional Turnkey Products. Since PBXware using Asterisk we have continued to invest in Freeswitch and Kamailio.
- The three basic components of Scalability, Reliability & Flexibility are arguably mutually opposing. You can have either two at the expense of the other.
- Asterisk’s strength is flexibility and reliability. The flexibility is in the great feature/function offer. The reliability is in the expectation that within its limits it will perform over time
To our own benchmarks : 400 concurrent calls per install is sustainable, about 2000 extensions
To our own and customers use : servers are not rebooted unless:
i) Poor Hardware is used (e.g. SATA not SAS drives)
ii) Incorrect usage performed
iii) Very exceptional events
We do notice a great difference in the success rate between customers. Large corporate users do not have problems. One-man Enterprises using a P4 PC, do.
Asterisk does not have scalability.
- Kamailio (OpenSER) : is a SIP PROXY used in our SWITCHware product with very little in the way of features (no flexibility). On our Z-SWITCH infrastructure performs as attached but in brief, tests provide for:
3000 set ups per second or 180,000 records per minute. There is scalability to cluster beyond this and reliability.
These figures are greatly surpassed in ideal conditions:
- SERVERware : is our visualization software that uses virtual server so voice runs over real CPU and allows clusters to be built that can hold many PBXware. SERVERware monitors the hardware to usage with warnings and with the SWITCHware in front calls are directed to be served to the different PBXware.
- COMBINED : you are able to achieve a maximum of these three.
- Technically Bicom Systems Products have been judged by some of the most Technologically Advanced companies from NEC to EADS. NEC deployment was built for 50000 business subscribers across Australia, 200 Service Providers are running their core business with tens of thousands of subscribers. Each winning their next deal based on the flexibility of being able to provide the next customer with what they need – which is always as different as the next customer’s business.