In response to a common VoIP security question, Digium provides ten ways to protect your IP PBX from hackers.
- Use a private network and exclude international calls from this network
- Ask your Service Provider to help restrict calling
- Use a firewall from the inside
- Verify IP addresses
- Never use the root user and disable login as such
- Create strong passwords and change frequently
- Close all ports that are not in use
- Run any susceptible services (for example, SSH) on non-standard ports
- Ask IT experts to protect platforms
- Never step learning about new security threats and protections
If this has piqued your interest or concern about VoIP security, check out VoIP Security: The Risks and How To Prevent Them.