UPDATE: PBXware is now on the VMware Solution Exchange as VMware PB
Bicom Systems does not support VMware as a product platform for a number of reasons including issues with time scheduling, syncing, lack of Linux addons, insufficient performance boundaries, processing delays, and more. Bicom Systems staff has compiled a list of relevant reading on the problems with supporting VMware and some potential solutions:
- As discussed in the article Timekeeping In Virtual Machines, VMware is unable to exactly duplicate the timing of other physical machines. This may cause discrepancies in timekeeping and other problems.
- A Study from the University of Minnesota “Does Virtualization Make Disk Scheduling Passé” highlights some real-life examples of issues with scheduling.
- A paper entitled “Formal Requirements for Virtualizable Third Generation Architectures” discusses the exact conditions that would be required to support VMware.
- Intel’s article on Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O presents a method of using VMware as a host. This may not work for all models and would need testing.
- The VMware End-User Computing Blog had a very interesting article about VMware View 5 and the way that may address some of the above issues.
- Another potential solution is vSphere 5, as outlined in the whitepaper Voice over IP Performance Evaluation on VMware vSphere 5.
More posts like this one: